Saturday, January 1, 2011

Peace

I have been reading the book Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges. I am only on chapter 5, but so far, God has really been using it to speak to me. This blog post is just about the parts that have stuck out to me so far.

In chapter 3, the author quotes The Sinfulness of Sin, a book by Ralph Venning. It says, "On the contrary, as God is holy, all holy, only holy, altogether holy, and always holy, so sin is sinful, all sinful, only sinful, altogether sinful, and always sinful." This means that it doesn't matter whether society "accepts" our sin or not. Because God is holy, and always will be, our sin is sinful...which means that it separates us from God. (Even those little sins that we think are okay.) But, he goes on to quote John Newton in chapter 4. "I am a great sinner, but I have a great Savior." While I am sinful, all sinful, only sinful, altogether sinful, and always sinful, God is not. I can have peace, knowing that even though I will continue to fail, God will continue to forgive me.

No comments:

Post a Comment